Thursday, June 12, 2008

Home Owner's Questions

Not much of interest happened today at the office. One of the things we try to do at our company is respond to each and every email. We get a few from homeowners too. Usually this is a request for an estimate on their home improvement project but we also get some questions regarding warranty work. Now even though we do not provide any type of service like this I still try to assist the homeowners. This can be anything from simply helping them find a phone number to a contractor to sometimes referring them elsewhere. I always try to help though wherever I can.

Today a customer had a question that I am all too familiar with. It seems that the company that did her replacement windows a few years back had gone out of business. Often times a homeowner does not know what to do in this situation. They call the company that did the work to find a disconnected phone number then they search the Internet and find us.

I will usually refer them to the warranty paperwork that came with the windows. If that doesn't work I will advise them to call the Attorney General's Consumer Department. That has proven to me to be a great reference point in finding out what to do and where to go for recourse in these situations.

I know how frustrating it can be to have an issue regarding a service provided and not be able to turn to the company who installed the product or provided that service. Not only do the companies go out of business but even some of the existing companies that I have dealt with are less than helpful when it comes to repair or service related issues. They can at least point you in the right direction when you are ready to pull your hair out from listening to recorded messages and getting lost in phone trees with some of these companies.

It is always the way though isn't it? When you are buying from the company they are your best friend but when something goes wrong it can be compared to squeezing blood from a turnip to get your issue resolved. I have over 15 years of customer service experience so I have dealt with a vast array of customers and companies as well. Sometimes it's nice to just be able to vent your issue to another human being instead of pushing buttons on a telephone trying to get things resolved.

If you are one of the many home owner's I have responded to in the past I hope my advice has been helpful to you. If you are a homeowner with a home improvement question feel free to ask me, I can not guarantee you I will have the answer but I don't mind spending some time helping you look around for it. Everybody learns that way and isn't it better when we all work together anyway?
Find possible solutions to home improvement questions

No comments: